Healthy, Quick Citrus-Dressed Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Vegetarian * Vegan * Gluten-Free
Today I'm sharing a healthy, yummy quinoa and bean recipe that is perfect for those who are interested in eating clean, easy meals. In total, this recipe takes maybe 30 minutes to make.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp. agave nectar (I used stevia--1 tsp).
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 scallions, minced
- 1 cup yellow or red grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1. Place the water in a saucepan, add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, return to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the turmeric, cover, and cook until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. About 3 minutes before the quinoa is done cooking, stir in the cauliflower. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes, then transfer the quinoa and cauliflower to a large bowl to cool.
2. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice and zest, lemon juice, stevia (agave), the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Whisk in the oil until blended, then pour the dressing over the quinoa. Add the carrot, bell pepper, black beans, scallions, tomatoes, and cilantro and toss to combine. Sprinkle on the sunflower seeds, and serve!
Did you make this recipe or a variation? Send me your photos: franklykathryn(at)gmail.com or share them to my Facebook page for others to see!