This Mother's Day, I'm looking back at my wonderful childhood and remembering all the reasons my beautiful and courageous adoptive mother is the best mom in the world!
- She taught me to never give up on myself and my dreams. Whatever I wanted to do or be, I could achieve it.
- She told me to be true to myself however I saw fit--my identity would be beautiful and unique. She shares unconditional love that certainly not all mothers have, contrary to popular belief.
- She showed me what it means to be resilient and strong, dealing with her own share of battles.
- She encouraged me to pursue a quality education and put me on the path to get there with wonderful alternative education systems.
- She's there to listen when I'm having a bad day. Back in the day of scary stories (both fictional and my own reality), she allowed me to sleep in her bed and rubbed my back when I had bad dreams.
- She's always been adamant about being my mom--not my best friend. This makes our relationship quite unique, and while it may not always be what I've ideally dreamt of, it provides me with a sense of security I wouldn't have otherwise.
- She stuck by me in the darkest of my days. When I couldn't function due to a severe anxiety disorder, my mom always had my back and took me on at home, helping me with school work and online homeschooling.
- She's never left me behind financially. It's a personal belief of mine that we must provide financially for our children as they journey through college and make a life of their own, and my mom is one that has never wavered in this fashion.
- Last but not least: she reads my blog. When she can.
Of course there's more to it than this, but these are the things I am grateful for daily and always hope she remembers.
Why are you thankful for your mom today? Leave your gratitude in the comments!