20 Little Known Facts About Me (Kathryn)
Hi there! Thanks for your support over the past year no matter what we've chosen to do with this little blog of ours! In discussing the new year, Emma and I thought it would be tons of fun to create a 20 Little Known Facts About Me post in which we share random things you probably don't know about us.
No matter how long I've been doing this whole blogging thing, it's still difficult to gauge how much our readers truly know about me! I wanted to reveal some facts that are unlikely to have come up in previous blog posts or aren't shed light on all that often. Perhaps this will help you feel as though we are a tighter knit FF fam! :)
1. I was born in California and adopted at the age of six weeks old.
2. Scrapbooking was my LIFE growing up! So much so that I attended scrapbooking camps as a kid - it was a fun time each summer that always culminated with a lake swimming party and s'mores + lemonade!
3. I'm bisexual and in a heterosexual relationship. With that comes a lot of privilege, particularly as a straight-passing female. I use this privilege to help others in need of support or resources.
4. I'm also half Mexican and white-passing - ding, ding, ding; more privilege! While you may know #3 or #4, rarely do they come up in blog posts. Here on FF, showcasing diversity throughout our visual branding and post content is a priority.
5. My top two favorite movie directors of all time are Nora Ephron and Nancy Meyers. Shonda Rhimes is my favorite TV producer, obvi.
6. I'm totally a vanilla gal! Contrary to Emma's leanings, if you give me the choice of chocolate or vanilla, I'm ALWAYS gonna pick vanilla (unless it's chocolate mousse, of course)!
7. Throughout my life, I've been greatly misunderstood by older individuals, primarily female, who can't seem to get enough of ageism! I know my worth, I demand what I'm worth and I'm steadfast in what I believe, especially as a young female entrepreneur. Many have a hard time getting used to this concept as we enter this day and age!
8. Christmas is by far my fave holiday and I wish it snowed more where I live!
9. My dream is to someday drink espresso on a sidewalk in Paris, bask in the sun at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas and visit New York City for the holidays.
10. I have a big, red birthmark smack dab in the middle of my chin! Over time I've gotten used to it, but I used to HATE IT. I also have a medium-sized, light brown birthmark on the back of my left arm.
11. Sushi is definitely my favorite food with Mexican coming in at a close second.
13. I thoroughly enjoy watching critical race movies and documentaries about the civil rights movement and history of oppression. An old friend of mine once said to me: "You should get a shirt that says, 'We can't be friends until you watch Lee Daniels' The Butler.'" That's only slightly true...
14. Before I dry myself off after a shower, I shake the towel out to make sure there aren't any spiders or unwelcomed dust. Why? No idea. I'm weird.
15. While I think I'm a decent photographer and website creator in terms of design, I am horrific at any DIY or artsy creative project. I can't draw, paint or anything else!
16. I've never been a fan of scifi, mystery or horror genres. That means superheroes, aliens, space stations and comic conventions are out of the picture! Except: I love Star Trek (only the original and the new films, of course).
17. I'll drink tea, but only if I have the cutest mugs! My new favorite is Cost Plus World Market's Ava Glass Mug - buy it and you won't regret it! ;)
18. I totally want to move to Canada when I retire! Vancouver / Whistler, anyone?
19. I adore museums, but can't stay in them for more than a good hour or two, depending on the exhibit. I'm a look + leave girl, but I always take away something special from each magnificent piece.
20. Ever since I was 13 years old, I've made creative figure skating montages of my hero, Ekaterina Gordeeva and posted them to YouTube.com. Katia is a Russian champion who lost her husband and skating partner at the young age of 24. She gives me strength every day and shows us the power that is human resilience. If you're ever curious, you can watch my montages here.
Did you learn anything new!? Ha. I hope so! Now, I would truly love to get to know you. Comment below with your life story - as little to as much as you would like to share, and how this life led you to finding Fashionably Frank. Love you!
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST,
YOU MAY ENJOY THESE, TOO!
BLOGGER: KATHRYN COFFMAN
Kathryn is the lead contributor + founder at FashionablyFrank.com. Obsessed with leading a life of balance, she started the blog in 2013. Since graduating from The Evergreen State College (Washington) in 2016, she is now a digital marketing specialist through her business, Fashionably Frank Marketing. She believes a cup of coffee is the answer to all of life's problems + that all women should strive to embrace a #girlboss mantra.