The comedian Victoria Wood knew the purpose of literature; “Music enriches people's lives in the same way paintings and literature do. Everybody deserves that.” Literature enriches our lives. But unlike a masterpiece by Picasso or an anthem by Beyonce, a seven-hundred-page book cannot enrich our lives in mere minutes.
But what if it could? What if we could release the soul of a classic piece of literature and capture its essence with a few words? What if our lives could be enriched by the magic of literature in only a few minutes?
That, quite simply, is the power of the best literary quotes. You can gain the insight and feel the passion of a brilliant book in mere minutes. Here are 21 quotes to get you started:
1. "She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together." — J. D. Salinger, A Girl I Knew
2. "I took a deep breath and listened to the old brag of my heart; I am, I am, I am." — Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
3. "Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve." ― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4. "The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience." — Emily Dickinson
5. "Life shrinks or expands according to one’s courage." ― Anaïs Nin
6. "And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
7. "I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will." ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre
8. "You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate." — Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
9. "There is a stubbornness about me that never can bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me." ― Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice
10. "You should never be surprised when someone treats you with respect, you should expect it." ― Sarah Dessen, Keeping the Moon
11. "Real courage is when you know you’re licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what." — Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
12. "I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor its coming with all my heart." — Alice Walker
13. "The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me." — Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
14. "One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving." ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
15. "Better to be without logic than without feeling." — Charlotte Bronte, The Professor
16. "The joy that isn’t shared dies young." — Anne Sexton, Welcome Morning
17. "There is no first, or last in Forever – It is Centre, there, all the time." — Emily Dickinson
18. "Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." — J.K. Rowling
19. "When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too." ― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
20. "The beginning is always today." — Mary Shelley, The Short Stories Of Mary Shelley
21. "How wild it was, to let it be." — Cheryl Strayed, Wild
If listening to one Beyonce song makes you want to binge the whole album and these 21 quotes made you want to read more, check out these Charlotte Bronte quotes, Harry Potter quotes or 23 Of The Most Beautiful Lines From Literature.
We hope these quotes have brightened your day.
What is your fave quote? Let us know in the comments below!
*This is a sponsored post. We loved working with Yellow Octopus to create this informative and inspiring article for all the book lovers out there. #BOOKWORMSUNITE!
IF YOU ENJOY THIS POST,
YOU MAY ENJOY THESE, TOO!
GUEST BLOGGER: TOM @ YELLOW OCTOPUS
Australia's Yellow Octopus scours the globe for all the very latest gadgets, toys, gifts and games. They search high and low for products that are cool, inspirational, quirky, bizarre and downright fun! Give them some love here.